How to optimise the use of Instagram



I instagram, you instagram, she instagrams, we áll instagram! Instagram has become an important device for people that own an iPhone or android mobile telephone, to enhance and showcase their activities to the rest of the world. Of course I am no exception to that. Being a fervent user of the app, I take total responsibility for my contribution in making Instagram an unofficial verb, that it definitely has become these days. 

However, even though I've been acquainted with Instagram for a while now, I really do still find myself indecisively scrolling through the filters quite often and longer than I intend to; sometimes to the dismay of my boyfriend when we're out having dinner in a restaurant and I insist on taking a picture of the food. Especially when the lighting is poor and I decide to blatantly turn on the flash to do justice to the food that is beautifully presented on the plate, I'm pushing his limits. So in terms of 'damage control', you could say that the less time I spend on 'instagramming' (at least when out for dinner and with the bf), probably the better. 


The filter I constantly fall back on on Instagram, is "Amaro". I actually use it most of the time and on almost every picture I take, whether it be of buildings or of food. This habit is obviously incomprehensible, as there are 19 other alternative filters to choose from. My explanation for this habit is that it's hard for me to choose (as I find with many things) when there are so many options available. The truth in reality however, is that (probably like many others out there) I don't really have an eye for good photography, and so I don't know which filter actually complements the picture I took. My consistent use of "Amaro" is therefor really an effort of damage or time control on my part, as I can easily spend more than 5 mins on choosing a filter that I think complements the picture best...when, truth be told, its probably just an arbitrary choice.

Little did I know - and maybe you weren't aware of that also -  is that there's something like a guide on how to choose the right Instagram filter for your images! A little research on my part showed, that the views on which filters fit best on what kind of images, are commonly shared. In short, when it comes to pictures of food for example, the best filter is said to be "Lo-Fi". To make images of nature and the outdoors appear calm and cozy, "Sierra" is recommended. And when it comes to portrait pictures, "Rise" seems to be the most forgiving. Of course I have been testing it out myself, and I can definitely agree that it is applicable in most cases. Like the picture beneath shows, "Lo-Fi"(on the left) does make the image more 'professional' looking or at least the tuna steak that I had in Barcelona, more juicy looking than "Amaro" (on the right).


And the salad I had the other day, definitely looks more vibrant with "Lo-Fi" (on the left) than "Amaro" (on the right):


I also tried out the 'Rise' filter (on the left) on the picture here below (excuse the bags under my eyes), but I kind of liked the result of 'Amaro' (which is on the right) a little better...


Here's the very useful link for the guidelines on which filters are suited best for what images. I find them really useful and I think it definitely will shorten the time I spend on 'instagramming' the pics. However, I did on occasion find the 'Amaro' filter making me look better than the 'Rise' filter on pictures, so I guess my preference wasn't totally random after all =). So what do you think, has this guide also been a revelation for you?

0 Comment(s)